Sunday, February 19, 2012

getting back on track (& soup recipe)

It's been a good couple of days, but i'm still struggling to get back to a routine post-surgery. i feel like i can do more, but am not 100% and because i haven't really exercised for a few weeks, I can really feel the difference in energy and exertion levels. I was shopping this weekend for summer clothes (going to FL in a few weeks for a family event) and was.not.happy.

Even though the scale is "only" about 8 lb more than a year ago, and i know some of that was water near the end of the day (when i didn't take my rx for edema) -- i know whatever has come back has settled not-so-nicely into my belly. It is definitely different, flabby, and i almost think it's currently bigger than when i was pregnant with my son. :( Very disappointing. And, most definitely means that NONE of the few summer pants i wore last year will fit. I tried not to buy a lot because i was *losing* and was sure i'd be smaller next summer...i've been saying that for maybe 5 years (& probably much longer than that) but i'm TIRED of it.

This is so frustrating, and - if i'm being honest - kind of defeatist to see that nothing fits because of my belly flab. It's hard not to feel down at that, and i feel like i'm making excuses when i remember that i've been inactive & eating what others make for the better part of 3 weeks (surgery) and had 2 doses of prednisone since November (asthma/colds/etc). . . i know these things were factors, but i also know that i haven't been as strict about tracking as i should be at times, and have had days where i don't get to eat lunch, haven't planned dinner, etc.

I am trying to work on those things that i can change, and hope that the rest will be back to normal soon. I've been using MyFitPal this week. Today, I hiked for over an hour with my son on the uphill path. The part of the main trail we did was just over a mile (according to pedometer) but we did several side trails to see a waterfall and explore. It was good to get out. My goal is to do at least 30 min of activity everyday this week. I'll be OK if I miss a day, but I'm trying.

I also made a delicious veggie soup last night. It was a combination of several recipes so i'm going to summarize it here. cauliflower potato soup: I LOVE my immersion blender - best Christmas gift this year i think!
1T olive oil - heat over Medium heat.
Add Soup Starter Mixture - onion, carrot, celery -- about 1 lb total, thinly chopped (I bought them fresh from Wegman's and then chopped them a bit more in the mini-chopper)
Cover & cook 2-3 minutes
Add cauliflower (i used 1 whole, florets sliced in half), Vegetable broth/stock (i used 28 oz), thyme, and 2-3 yukon gold potatoes (peeled, quartered, and sliced thin) [i combined potatoes and cauliflower in a bowl and tossed with 1T flour to add to thickening before i added them to the soup pot]
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer at least 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
Puree with immersion blender. Salt & Pepper to taste.

***Of course, i wouldn't recommend that you leave it on the counter overnight like i did...hope i get to enjoy more of it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment